Friday, May 16, 2008

Mattel Versus Super Duper

If you are a fan of Super Duper, you might want to speak up. I’d hate to see a good company with alot to offer our kids in terms of toys and tools go the way of the buffalo, so you might want to speak up. News can be read here.

I’ll be honest here, I’ve worked at and with a lot of big, well-known brands in my professional life as a PR guy, and even the scent of copyright infringement is a big deal… and it is one of the ways corporate lawyers, and corporate law firms, make their second house payments (or yacht payments). But it is a big deal. From a branding perspective, I don’t want you diluting what matters in the marketplace of consumers – the brand, end of story — so I have mixed feelings on this one.

Super Duper has made a difference in Demetrius’ life. I want the Webbers to succeed, prosper – and frankly, I’d love for them to have a big ol’ house on Hilton Head for making a difference in so many kids lives. But they should hire better legal representation and should probably be more thorough in their branding of product lines, and checking to see if they infringe, first and foremost. This company shouldn’t just ‘survive’ this legal ordeal. Anyone who gets their catalog and has ordered from it knows they are great. So find a way to be heard on this, if you’ve got a few moments.

I’m no lawyer, but it looks like they’ve beat the rap on the big lawsuit issues, now the lawyers – surprise, surprise – want to get paid (and Mattel doesn’t want to do it). If I were Super Duper, I’d just try to learn from this and as I said, cross those Ts and dot those Is a bit more in the future.

I don’t see any reason not to drop an email to Mattel and tell them to back off. Big business does often lose the forest through the trees…and from a PR perspective, they could approach this differently, so bloggers and parents such as me, don’t portray them as the bad guy in this. They have their point, but they might want to think about approaching Super Duper in a way to work through a partnership versus the legal system. Just a thought.

Posted by Jerry in 13:18:28
Comments

6 Responses to “Mattel Versus Super Duper”

1. Anonymous says:

oh no…i had not heard about this! i love super duper. i have ordered many things from them. it is always something huh?

mom to max

2. Anonymous says:

Hi Jerry,

I read with interest your comments about Super Duper. Mattel alledged that there has been consumer confusion between Super Duper’s products with the word “SAY” and Mattel’s pull toy SEE “N SAY. That is not true. Mattel makes a toy to be played with by all children; Super Duper makes products specifically to be used by therapists and parents of special needs children. Super Duper’s products were legally trademarked by the U.S. government.

In my opinion this is a frivolous action by Mattel which hurts special needs children. I plan on boycotting Mattel and Fisher Price and encourage all outraged parties to join me. Super Duper has done nothing wrong except stand up to one of the world’s largest bullies!

In the court of public opinion I hope Mattel hears the verdict of its customers!!! BOYCOTT MATTEL AND FISHER PRICE

Cindy Scutt

3. Anonymous says:

Sounds like Mattel is looking for more revenue by way of frivolous lawsuit. Apparently they don’t care about hurting people in the process, especially special needs kids. Very sad. I agree, boycott the greedy *******s

4. Anonymous says:

Go get ‘em guys!

5. Anonymous says:

I believe in signing a petition on what has been going on now.. read the latest in this case…..

6. Anonymous says:

People need to understand, Super Duper is not as the name implies. They steal ideas from people and don’t pay them, they treat their employees like slaves and fire them if they don’t match the castle decor de jour. All their items are made in CHINA, none in the USA. They are using the labor of children in China to make a huge profit off of special needs children and furnish their mulitple multi million dollar beach houses on the Isle of Palms Don’t feel sorry for Super Duper, Mattel is winning as of April 2009 and I say that is very SUPER DUPER!!!